Initial budget: $100/day, $50/person/day
Actual cost: 16 days at $1298 ($81/day, $40.50/person/day)
Here's the breakdown with some details...
- Lodging: $620 - 16 nights at hostels or Air B&B apartments averaging $19/person/night
- Transportation: $366 - trains/buses between major cities and transportation for day trips to the Douro Valley, Conimbriga, Buçaco Forest and Sagres; nominal dollars spent on public transportation everywhere
- Groceries: $156
- Meals: $40 - all pastries... not even kidding (okay, maybe there was one coffee in there somewhere but we didn't actually eat out at all)
- Tours: $69 - Porto walking tour; admissions to various Porto museusm/sights, Conimbriga ruins, and the fortress at Sagres
- Alcohol: $40
- "Misc": $5 - $4 for port tastings in the Douru Valley (we call that "entertainment"), otherwise public toilets
- Gifts: still $0, sorry...
Other fun Portugal facts...
- Cities visited: 7 (Valença, Porto, Pinhão, Coimbra, Luso, Lagos, Sagres)
- Pastries eaten: A BAZILLION
- National parks visited: 0 (but Buçaco Forest Park is a Portuguese national monument and on the tentative UNESCO list)
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites visited: 3 (Alto Douro Wine Region, Historic Centre of Oporto, University of Coimbra)
- Wine tours: 0 (but we enjoyed the tasting!)
Looking forward to getting out of Euro territory soon...