Initial budget: 14 days at $1204 ($86/day, $43/person/day)
Actual cost: 21 days at $340 ($16/day, $8/person/day)
I really don't know why more people don't volunteer while traveling. Here's the breakdown with some details...
- Lodging: $185 - 6 dorm rooms at hostels and one night for a private room averaging $13/person/night.
- Transportation: $55 - trains from Brasov-Bucharest and Bucharest-Sinaia-Bucharest, nominal dollars spent on public transportation in Bucharest.
- Groceries: $42 - again I say, if we never eat bread again after Central Europe...
- Meals: $14 - most of this is lunch one day in Old Town.
- Tours: $22 - Bran Castle (Bran), the Village Museum (Bucharest).
- Alcohol: $13 - hooray for rotgut village wine!
- Gear: $0.
- "Misc": $10 - laundry, public toilets and various other randomness.
- Gifts: still $0.
Other fun Romania facts...
- Cities visited: 5 (Brasov, Bran, Sinaia, Lisa, Bucharest)
- Awesome provinces visited: Transylvania!
- National parks visited: 0
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites visited: 0
Now we say goodbye to Central Europe's impending grey winter and countless loaves of inexpensive white fluffy bread. Hopefully, Turkey's cheese is just as good though... To Istanbul!