Sunday, April 14, 2013

An open letter to my coworkers, past and present.

Hello... Jen here.  Have had something on my mind for a while now, and I just updated my LinkedIn profile so the timing seems right for this post.

Our April departure decision was a bit sudden due to numerous stars aligning, karma working its magic, and various other surreal-yet-real personal factors.  I recently moved into a new position at work that I've really been enjoying so the decision was a little bittersweet.  But I've said it before and I'll keep saying it - when stars and karma and surreality talk, I listen. 

Over the past 15 years I have had many roles, many managers, and many learning experiences.  My first "real" job out of college started out as a three week temp gig while I looked for long-term employment in the Bay Area.  Nine years with the same department later, I had an amazing group of friends, some wonderful travel buddies, and loads of market research and project management under my belt.

my going away party was pirate-themed ~
how awesome is that?

My second job, hands down the hardest job I will ever have, was definitely a case of stars aligning.  I learned how to be unbelievably flexible, how to manage people (zero to six staff overnight will do that for you), how to get the right people in the room to make decisions and trust that the right things will happen as a result... and I also learned a lot about my limits.  A very important lesson I'm grateful for every day.

signed by the hardest working people I have ever known

My third job, which has subtly turned in to my fourth, fifth and sixth jobs, has been a great experience as well.  I've had to hold my own in conversations with some brilliant minds, I've learned how to predict the future (give or take a month or six), and I've herded a lot of really funny, inspiring cats.   
you cats know who you are

I have no idea what this travel adventure will bring and I have no idea what life has in store for me when we return to Portland.


a police officer?
an astronaut? a professional soccer player?

But what we're embarking upon requires all of the skills I've collected over the years. Whether you know it or not, each of you helped me get to this point.

And so I happily thank you all.

I'm sure this means a lot to you as you read this over your lunch hour while I'm preparing to traipse off to who-knows-where... but please just know that it means a lot to me.

(I know what you're thinking - CAN WE JUST LEAVE AND START POSTING TRIP NARRATIVES ALREADY??!  SHEESH!!  Rest assured, we feel the same way...  But first we have some gratitude issues to deal with.)

No comments:

Post a Comment