- Mission tortillas. Purchased about a week before we left, sort of refrigerated along the way, hauled out for Patrick's sandwiches during our Canadian Rockies stint. We aren't sure if it's frightening or wonderful that they lasted this long - perhaps a little of both.
- A stick of butter and a tub of Earth Balance. Finally threw the stick of butter out due to fear of it melting all over the cooler as we head to warmer temperatures.
- Parmesan cheese. I am now convinced that after a nuclear holocaust, all that would remain are the cockroaches and the Parmesan cheese.
- Homemade peanut butter. Brooke's pecan butter was gone in about 60 seconds, but we milked our last tub of homemade peanut butter for almost four weeks thanks to a 2-for-$5 sale on jars on Gabriola Island and all of our kind WWOOF hosts. (We have since gone through about four additional jars...)
- Three cans of garbanzo beans, also in the emergency supply box. What you do with garbanzo beans over a campfire, I have no idea... But I am going to find out!
Ed note after the fact: Smitten Kitchen's crisped chickpeas actually turn out okay when cooked over a campfire! A bit smoky, but delicious...